In "The Good Life"....

In "The Good Life"...


raising Harper Sage and Livia Jade while sharing our stories along the way.....



Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Kan + Team = Pro-fisher-woman

T & K adventures continue: Memorial Day weekend 2008
Lateaf and I headed to Nebraska for the weekend to spend time with family and friends. We started our advetures Friday afternoon and headed to Sherman County Dam where my parents have a lake house. We picked up my sis and friend Kate in Lincoln on the way and made a quick stop to see "my best friend Amy's" new house before continuing on our path. We arrived at the lake late in the evening and hung out with the "rents" until bedtime. Saturday was a fun filled day and night of fishin off the dock. We (collectively) caught 25 crappie (pronounced CROP-IE) fish from the dock. I, being such a professional fisherwoman, ended up catching the biggest fish of the day:) A 26 inch, 6 pound walleye! This fish was GI-NORMOUS...... here's the story, it's was my second time really ever fishing in my life(the first was the weekend before in Missouri where I caught one small blue gill fishy that we threw back). So here I was second go around at it and I catch this huge fish. I have to confess I have yet to brave the idea of hooking my own bait to the pole. Each time Teaf, my dad, Kate, my mom, or even my four year old cousin had to stick the guts of the minos or worms through the hook for me. (pathetic I know) Oh ya, and the whole patience thing that goes a long with fishing is another hard concept for me to grasp. I tend to get side tracked from watching my bobber. I become more interested in looking around; watching the trees sway, the sun set, the neighbors playing, the dogs parking, really anything but keeping my eye on the bobber. Each time the bobber goes down Teaf is saying "BABE BABE PULL PULL." Frantically back to fishing reality I pull and start to squeal with excitement. Sometimes I would loose the fish and others I would successfully reel in the catch. When it came to the big guy, "Teafs yelling, do you have it honey, do you have it?" I yell back "NO". I could not pull that fighting 6 pound fish from the water. It seriously seemed like it was going to drag me into the lake... My dad takes off running from the dock to get the fish net and they successfully bring the fish out of water. The next step to the whole process is beyond me as well. I have yet to muster up and brave taking the fish off the hook. Basically, I am good for holding my pretty pink and purple pole in the water: the rest I count on my team. I always was a good team player:) just never one for individual sports. So in the end I would have to say that the T & K team caught the big fish this weekend and I'm NOT such a pro after all:)! Here was the big prize at the end of the day:

My lovely mother Theresa with one of her crappie catches:

This is what we saw pre the big catch! Beautiful Nebraska Sunset:

3 comments:

sara said...

Awesome Kandra! Very impressive for a second time fisher-woman. I was just talking to a patient of mine about fishing and that's his all time favorite thing to do. How fun to do it in Nebraska ;)

Ismael & Araceli said...

Way to go Kandra! Ese es un pescado enorme comparados a los que acostumbro mirar. :D

lauren and brad said...

that last picture is breath-taking.

i love the lake. i agree with the fishing thing...it's a hard concept to grasp...the best part is always the beer.